Chapter 1: Reunion 2

Chapter 1: Reunion 2

When we arrive at our destination stop, it was already evening. The other side of the fence surrounding the station platform was a field that is already tinted with orange sunset. Scattered houses are everywhere and beyond that, there were mountains that can be seen from the distance.

"This is the countryside, huh? This is what countryside looks like, I guess."

"I'm not a fan of bugs."

"Don't you think bugs would be the ones running away?"

"Huh?!!"

"Oh, even the tracks have grass growing."

"Hey, stop ignoring me!"

Blatantly ignoring Kana, she kicked me lightly at heel.

"I'll be meeting Hoshimiya soon... I'm happy, but I'm getting nervous too...."

"You're totally infatuated with Ayana. You're the type who'd never cheat, right?"

"Of course not. If I have the time for cheating, I'd rather ask Hoshimiya out on a date."

"You're acting like you're already dating her..."

"It's not just an act; we are really dating."

Neither of us officially said we're breaking up... I wonder if that means I've cheated. Conflicted, I cross my arms and keep look at the grass growing on the tracks.

"Um... are you possibly Kuromine-san?" I turned around and there, was a elderly woman asked me timidly.

Looks like she's been here for a while now.

Her face was marked with wrinkles with white hair, hinting an countless hardships she might have endured. The combination of her subdued light green kimono and the rural atmosphere strongly portrayed a traditional japanese image.

...Who is she? I've never seen her before. Despite not recognizing her, my head throbs with pain.

I feel an urge to scratch my brain and tear it.

"Riku?"

Kana tugs lightly on my sleeve with a worried expression, but I can't even respond properly.

Ignoring this agitation, the elderly woman in front of us straightens her back, looks at us with serene eyes, and calmly introduces herself.

"I am Hoshimiya Ayana's grandmother."

"What?" Kana reacted.

According to Kana, Hoshimiya is staying at her grandmother's acquaintance's house.

And the person before us is indeed Hoshimiya's grandmother.

She exuded a calm composure and a presence that exceeded a meanings in her age.

"I heard it was just Kana-san, but... Kuromine-san is here too."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Considering Ayana's current situation, I thought it might be better for him to come without saying anything..."

Kana explains the situation on my behalf.

Hoshimiya's grandmother seems to imply that she doesn't mind and lightly shakes her head.

"I wanted to express my gratitude to Kana-san, so I was waiting for you."

Saying that, she looks at me this time and bends her waist, deeply bowing. She surprises me with this sudden action, and I don't understand the reason behind it.

"Um..."

"I have never forgotten about that accident for even a day."

"..."

"I am aware of the circumstances surrounding Ayana and Kuromine-san. I apologize."

"Um..."

As I try to call out to Hoshimiya's grandmother, who's still apologizing, "However," she added, causing my words to stop.

"Ayana is suffering tremendously...! But, if Kuromine-san were to add another burden because of the incident..."

Ah, I see. Now, I can tell where she's going now.

She must have misunderstood my purpose for coming here – she thinks I came here to vent my resentment toward Hoshimiya.

"I have no intention of seeking forgiveness. But, please not on Ayana, but to────"

"About the accident, I'm still not okay with it."

Hoshimiya's grandmother keeps her head lowered, so I can't see her expression, but I can feel the tension in her body easing slightly with my words.

Kana, who is beside me, did nothing, and just observed the situation.

An intense silence envelops the surroundings, and only the sound of the wind passing through us can be heard.

It feels like the world is waiting for my words.

So, with a sincere desire, I speak my true feelings.

"I... just want to see her. I simply want to meet her. That's all."

"..."

"I don't hold any grudges. I'm not angry. Of course, I still haven't fully accept the accident. But that's irrelevant for me now."

My genuine feelings flow effortlessly, even surprising myself.

The feelings I've kept buried deep within my heart for Hoshimiya well up.

"I want to see Hoshimiya. And... I want to live together with her."

"....!"

I state the truth calmly, as if confessing.

Hoshimiya's grandmother didn't lift her head and didn't say anything either. She just continuously bow in silent.

Words are no longer necessary.

Everything has been resolved in this moment.

"Kana, let's go."

"But, wait..."

"Let's go."

Ignoring Hoshimiya's grandmother, I continue walking.

Without turning around, I know.

That she's still bowing her head towards my back.

◆◆◆

After leaving the station, we boarded a bus for about thirty minutes before getting off. The bus stop where there's a small hut, similar to the ones often I seen in manga where the main characters flirt or girls chat happily in slice-of-life series. It's my first time seeing it in real life, and I felt strangely excited, experiencing a romantic and emotional sensation.

"Hey, Pochi, let's go!" Kana called.

"Who's the dog?" I called back.

I began walking along the road, trying to catch up with Kana who had started ahead. I glanced around while walking and let out a sigh of admiration. We were completely surrounded by nature. On my right, there's brushes, and on the left, a vast rice field.

Looking ahead, I could see a few houses, but I wasn't sure if it should be called a village.

It reminded me of an anime I watched before with Haruno. And the theme is about countryside. The environment around here is exactly the same.

"Hey, Kana, where's Hoshimiya's house?"

"Wait a sec. I'm checking it now…"

Kana walked while looking at her smartphone. Then she looked up and said, "Ayana's house seems to be away from the village. It's close to the mountains, surrounded by forest," while showing me the screen of her smartphone. It was a chat room between Hoshimiya and Kana. There were several images for directions and videos that seemed to be taken by Hoshimiya.

"Countryside life is great, right? It gives you a sense of liberation, and I absolutely admire the idea of living here."

"In reality, it can be inconvenient for shopping and dealing with people can be challenging, you know."

"Don't tell me you didn't even dream about it? Oh, there's a place that looks like a grassy field. It must be fun to run around in a place like that."

"Haha, just like a dog."

"...Haruno and Hoshimiya already told me that I'm dog-like too."

"Well, I can understand why they'd say that. You tend to change emotions quickly and show your thoughts on your face... Somehow, you're like dog, Riku. Come on, give me your paw."

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm human."

"If you give me your paw, I'll give you a strawberry-flavored candy."

"Woof."

Without hesitation, I placed my right hand lightly in Kana's outstretched hand. I do like strawberry-flavored candies.

"Aww, you're so cute. I meant it to tease you, but you're just adorable, Riku."

"Forget that, just give me the candy."

"That's what I mean by 'dog-like' or should I say 'Riku-like.'"

Kana wasn't making fun of me; she said it with a smile, looking genuinely happy.

Influenced by the natural atmosphere, we continued on, surrounded by a cheerful mood.

"Oh, by the way, have you seen the vegetables being sold at the roadside?"

"Yeah, I saw them. While we were on the bus, right? There were no one in there though...."

"It was my first time seeing leaving things like that. I wonder if they will get thieve, because of it?"

"I don't think there are bad people like that here.... Probably?"

"Yeah, probably. I mean, there are no convenience store robbers here for sure."

"Stop making it sound like a flag!"

As we exchanged trivial conversations, we finally arrived at Hoshimiya's house.

It was a two-story wooden house built on a slightly elevated spot at the foot of the mountain, and the aged blackened tiles gave it a sense of history. Behind the house, the forest continued up the mountain, and tall grass grew in the surrounding area.

It gave a strong impression of coexistence with nature rather than just being surrounded by it. Thanks to that, the utility pole standing near the house felt out of place.

"Let's go, Riku." Kana inquire.

"............"

"Riku?" Kana asked again.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine... Let's go."

The time to meet Hoshimiya finally come, I'm getting nervous now. I hadn't thought about what to say to her, as my emotions were running ahead of me.

I hadn't informed Hoshimiya about coming, so I practically launched a surprise attack. Would it be bother for her?

Looking back in the past, it's pretty common sense if she thinks that way.

Before my thoughts could come together, Kana stood in front of the house.

I stood there about three steps before the door.

"So, should I call out now?"

"Yeah..."

"You seem incredibly nervous. Do your best, Kuromine Riku."

With a gentle smile and encouragement, Kana faces the doorbell, and gently pushes it in.

*Ding*

 

*Ding*

"..."

Regardless of the summer heat, my hands were starting to get sweaty. To calm myself down, I take deep breaths.

I can hear footsteps that seems in hurry on opening the door

A human figure is reflected through the door glass. It's a woman's build.

With that height and figure, I'm sure who it is....

It's Hoshimiya.

With a loud noise, the door open.

Appearing before me is, without a doubt, it's Hoshimiya.

Her hair was dyed in a bright shaded brown, and her radiant aura was just like usual.

I've seen her dressed in a white T-shirt and gray shorts as her casual clothes before.

Without noticing my presence, Hoshimiya looked at Kana and broke into a bright smile.

"Kana! It's been a while~ I wanted to see you!"

"Ayana?"

"Hm? What's wrong?"

"No, it's nothing. It's been a while. I wanted to see you too."

Seeing Hoshimiya's liveliness is unexpected, Kana briefly showed surprise but quickly responded with a smile. Naturally, I am also bewildered. It's as if nothing happened, full of brightness.

Then the two of them rejoiced in their reunion and chatted away.

"Kana, are you enjoying your summer vacation?"

"It's going okay. How about you though? Living in the countryside must be different, right?"

"At first, I'm quite confused, but now I'm enjoying it. Everyone is kind. I'm sure you'll like it too. Oh, by the way, you're staying here for a few days, right? I've prepared a room."

"Yeah, thanks. Now, about... the other person..."

"Huh?"

The main topic wasn't about their reunion. It was about me and Hoshimiya.

Kana shifted to the side to make sure I was in her line of sight, guiding Hoshimiya's gaze toward me.

"Oh."

Our eyes met, and a voice escaped from Hoshimiya's mouth.

"──!!" Goosebumps covered my entire body.

Hoshimiya's eyes... the emotions hidden deep within them are something I don't recognize.

A dreadful premonition sends a chilling sensation down my spine.

My heartbeat intensifies like a warning signal.

My limbs feel numb, and even my perception of reality starts to blur.

I can't escape anymore.

Hoshimiya then puts on a lovely smile that I adore...

"Um, nice to meet you... Are you Kana's boyfriend?"


Chapter 1 End. Open for Correction. As usual, there's Ko-Fi link there below.

-Support Me-

https://ko-fi.com/animestuff85370

-Visit my epub-pdf website-

https://animestuff.me/

Join on my Telegram:

https://t.me/animestuff2023

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6: Heading in the Opposite Direction Towards Hope!!

Chapter 1: Reunion 1

Chapter 2: Progress 1