Chapter 1: Reunion 1

Chapter 1: Reunion 1

Feeling the motion of the train, I enjoy the scenery outside the window.

Just a few hours ago, all I could see were buildings and residential areas, but now, vast green fields and farmland bathed in the sunlight extended as far as my eyes could see. This is rural area but in the distance, I could see mountains overlapping.

The view from the window had changed so drastically that I felt like I slipped through time.

"..."

I could sense the train's vibrations through the seat, it was a strange feeling but, right now, all I can feel is strong awareness around me. Or should I say, I was distinctly feeling the world.

Until now, I used to pass my days in a vague manner, only paying attention to Haruno's face. I had never been conscious when the train's sway or passing the sceneries but now, I'm feeling a clear sense of fulfillment.

...But I wished I could be more insensitive to the person in front of me.

"Sigh... If someone hadn't made mistake with the train, we would have arrived by now."

"I can't forgive that person. I think that guy should reflect on what he'd done."

"You're talking about yourself, aren't you?! Moron!"

"...I'm sorry."

I bowed deeply as she scolded me. I genuinely feel regretted my actions, so I hope she will forgive me.

"Why did you get on a different train anyway? It's normal to check it with me first, right? Don't just rely on the atmosphere. And seriously, check the d*mn timetable."

Kana, sitting in front of me, was constantly complaining.

For the past few hours, she had been scolding me continuously. I understand that I'm at fault, but honestly, this is tough.

"I'm even annoyed to myself for even thinking that your kinda cool for a moment... But getting on the opposite direction train while having a such confident face, Is just!"

"Well, you could say it's just my style, right?"

"Who cares, idiot."

Kana let out a sigh full of exasperation and gazed out of the window for a while.

Perhaps the serene countryside scenery had a calming effect on her as her sharp gaze softened.

"Well, I'll give you credit for coming here."

"Thanks."

"Can I ask you something? What about your luggage?"

"Luggage?"

"Riku, you have nothing. You're planning to stay there for a while, right?"

"What...!?"

Though I didn't asked her, but I felt something was off when I saw her holding a travel bag. I'm a total mess...

As I was baffled by my own state, Kana shook her head and said, "Can't be helped."

"It'll work out somehow. There's no point in complaining now; it won't solve anything." Kana added.

"I can't believe that the person who's motivating me right now; is the person who scolded me for hours. "

"I am a past is past person. I've forgotten the past where I used to complained."

Kana said it like a anime character whistling, acting like it wasn't a big deal. In a way, like she was a big-shot person.

Her self-centered personality was exactly the image of a combination of a gal and a delinquent that I had in my mind for a long time.

"Did you contact Ayana and tell her you're coming?"

"No, I didn't. I have a feeling she would avoid me if I did."

"I see."

Kana seemed to understand my intuition and nodded briefly.

"One more thing, is it fine?"

This time, her tone wasn't light. It was a cautious and careful inquiry, as if she was trying to gauge my feelings.

I unintentionally tensed up and replied shortly, "What?"

"What happened between you and Ayana?"

"So, that's what you're after..."

"I'm sorry. I've been curious... I mean, um, I won't force you to talk about it. But, if there's any way I can help, I'll do anything, okay? Of course if I can be any help, I'll do it."

I felt there was no lie in her words.

As I looked into Kana's eyes, I saw the genuine concern she held for others.

"Why... are you willing to go that extent?"

"For You and Ayana."

"Pretty fast answer..."

"It might sound cheesy, but I can't bear to see people close to me suffer. And it's even more so when they are good friends. Above all, it's not just a simple matter. I believe that whatever issue exists between you and Ayana is something harsh that I can't even imagine. I want to help, even if it's just a little."

It wasn't imposing her own thoughts; it was her sincere wish.

Kana's expression stiffened as she met my eyes, trying to convey the seriousness of her intentions.

This was genuine. There was no room for doubt.

In the past, I'm not determine enough to reveal to anyone about my past with Hoshimiya unless if it is Haruno, but in this moment, my desire for Kana to know began to sprout.

"Alright. I'll tell you."

Kana straightened her posture and leaned forward, directing her attention to my words.

...!

My heart trembled violently just from attempting to speak, and heat started to well up in my eyes.

To endure the turmoil of emotions, I clenched my fist and took deep breaths.

If I let my guard down even for a moment, I'd start crying.

"Wait, Riku. If it's too painful for you..."

"No, I'll talk. I can tell that you genuinely care, that's why... I want you to know, Kana."

Just like when pendulum violently swings, it also slowly slows down, my emotions did same.

When I explained my relationship with Hoshimiya to Haruno, I bared my emotions like a beast. But this time... I felt like I could talk calmly while testing my mental state.

◇ ◇ ◇

"...So that's how it is, up to this point."

I managed to explain everything without faltering.

I placed my hand on my chest to confirm that my heart was functioning normally.

...It's okay, I'm not losing it. If my mental state had been a mess even before meeting Hoshimiya, I wouldn't have been able to have this conversation. I should be able to overcome this much.

Even if something unexpected happens, I believe that I'll be able to face Hoshihoshiya head-on.

"......Suu... nn... nn."

"Huh...?"

I heard a stifled sob, and I lifted my head. Kana was glaring at her own toes, biting her lips with a frustrated expression. Her hands, placed on her knees, were tightly clenched.

"That's just... no, it's not right... Nn, nn...! It's wrong, such a cruel story...!"

"Kana..."

Kana seemed deeply affected by what she had heard. Her reaction was different from Haruno, who is calm and understanding. It seemed that my story had hit her emotionally hard.

Anger, frustration, sadness... Every emotion is swirling inside Kana.

From her trembling voice, a sense of helplessness was evident.

Tears began to well up in Kana's eyes, and they gradually started to trickle down.

"Here, take my handkerchief."

"I-I'm not crying!"

Without accepting my handkerchief, Kana wiped her tears roughly with her hands.

Perhaps wiping her tears became a trigger, as they kept flowing.

"Wait... I-I'm going to the restroom..."

Kana quickly stood up and left her seat, walking hastily to the adjoining train.

Left alone, I murmured while looking out of the window, "This train doesn't have a restroom, though."

It seemed like Kana didn't want to be seen crying. As her appearance suggested, she must have a strong sense of competitiveness.

Yet, also a very kind-hearted girl.

◇ ◇ ◇

I spend my time alone. The train made one stop after Kana left, and it's now running smoothly. She's taking quite a while to come back; maybe I should go and look for her.

As I thought, I felt someone's presence in the close pathway.

"Sorry for the wait." It was Kana.

They were no changes in her besides her reddish eyes. It seems like she calmed down now, sitting in-front of me.

"I'll cooperate with you, Riku. I'll become your ally." Kana said with a determined tone

"Cooperate?"

"Yeah. Your doing your best for Ayana... so I'll support you for it."

"Kana..."

"I'll be your ally, Riku. Whatever happens, I'll be there for you. I'll give it my all. Both of you deserves to be happy."

I think using the term "ally" is a bit exaggerated, but there is no doubt that these words expressed are Kana's thoughts and determination. As for me, I was genuinely happy to have someone who understands and supports me.

Besides, I don't think things will progress peacefully if I face Hoshimiya alone. Considering her personality, she must be blaming herself endlessly. She might even reject any kindness coming from me.

In this situation, having Kana, Hoshimiya's best friend, supporting me, is very reassuring.

"You mentioned something that caught my attention when you told me about your story... Is it okay to ask about it?"

"Go ahead. At this point, your free to ask me anything."

"Are you still in-love with Harukaze?"

"Of course—" No, I can't say it.

I tried to say it but couldn't.

It wasn't because I was concerned about Hoshimiya. It just felt off.

After deciding to go see Hoshimiya and leaving Haruno behind, my heart strangely felt light. After understanding everything, I feel like I shed a heavy armor and I could clearly recognize now the reality in front of me.

This same applied to my inner self.

My feelings for Hoshimiya and my feelings for Haruno, were fundamentally different.

I had never really cared about my own words and actions before. But as I looked back again...

"Sorry, Riku. Never mind, it's okay. I asked something unnecessary."

Seeing me lost in thought, Kana looked apologetic.

So I decided to stop thinking and closed my mouth instead. I shouldn't be worrying about anything other than Hoshimiya right now.

"Oh right. I've been asking about you a lot all this time, didn't I? It's not like this is an apology, but I'll tell you about myself too... Though the story is not like yours. It's more like an embarrassing black history episode."

"Oh, now I'm curious. Did you step on dog poop or something?"

"No, it's not about poop or something. Just listen."

With that, Kana begins to speak. This is probably good way to pass time until we reach our stop.

"It happened when I was in my second year of middle school. I started to become interested in romance because of my friends."

"So, Kana was someone who had an interest in romance too?"

"Well... maybe. Did you just make fun of me?"

"N-No, I didn't... sorry." I apologize immediately after she glared me.

Kana is originally have sharp and scary gaze, and her aura was a bit prickly, so I thought she wouldn't associate herself with romance. Of course, I didn't say a thing and just listened myself to her.

"There was a Senpai who was extremely popular among the girls at my school. I considered him as handsome even from my perspective. Tall, smart, and reputedly kind to everyone."

"Did you also develop feelings for him?"

"Feelings... not really. It's just that everyone was so into him, so I became a bit curious. Well, if I had to date someone, I thought someone like him would be nice."

"That sounds pretty ordinary."

"Yeah, I guess so. Besides, I'm just an ordinary girl."

"............" I nooded.

"Hey, don't just nod your head like that, you idiot."

"Please continue with your story."

"That doesn't help, but... one day, I made eye contact with that Senpai. And after school that day, I found a letter from him placed in my shoebox."

"Wow, things escalated quickly. Did he fall in love at first sight or something?"

While it's true that Kana has a scary gaze, her facial features are quite attractive. It wouldn't be strange if she was popular.

However, in response to my question, Kana lets out a dry laugh and continues her story.

"The letter asked me to meet him behind the school building, so I headed there. I couldn't help but imagine various things, like if he was going to confess to me or something. I don't really have feelings for him, but I thought, well, maybe I could give it a try and see how it goes. Nervously, I went to the back of the school building."

"I-I see."

"When I got there, he was there with a serious expression. And as soon as he saw me, he bowed down in apology."

"..........Huh?"

"He begged me to forgive him, saying he would give me money."

"W-Why?"

"Because of the rumors."

Kana shifts her gaze from my face to outside the window. She had a distant, sad look in her eyes.

"You see, I've been doing boxing since I was in elementary school. And I've had some good results... Maybe because of that or because of my intimidating eyes... It somehow ended up being labeled as a delinquent without even realizing it."

"Oh..."

"They say, 'Don't pick a fight with that cold gaze girl Kana; you'll end up getting beat up!' and 'The guy who glared at her ended up found floating in Tokyo Bay the next day!'..." Kana said with a playful tone, and then she muttered, "Seriously, are they idiots?"

"Just to make sure, you've never resorted to violence with anyone..."

"I've never raised my hand to anyone. I've never been in a fight. Verbal arguments, sure, I've had plenty of those."

"I-I see..."

"When I saw the Senpai bowing down, I thought that maybe I'll never experience first love and will never have a romantic relationship. I thought I was someone incapable in love."

".........."

"I inherited these eyes with my dad. They're the root of everything... That's why I've decided to cherish the friends who accept me regardless of my appearance."

After finishing her story, Kana seemed somewhat satisfied and leaned back against the seat.

Thanks to her story, I could understand a little more about Kana as a person. The incident with the Senpai is likely one of the reasons why she genuinely worries about Hoshimiya and wants to support her.

"With your personality, Kana... you'll find a great boyfriend."

"Huh, What? A flattery?"

"It's not flattery. You're genuinely kind in nature, sincerely wishing for others' happiness. You'll definitely find a great boyfriend."

I speaks my mind without hesitation.

Kana continues to gaze at me as if trying to read my true intentions, but she loosens her expression, she must have realized that I wasn't lying.

"Hmm... Riku, the current you seems to be on a good track. You're giving off an attractive vibe."

"Heh. Don't fall for me though... you might get burned."

"Huh, no, no. Impossible. No way, because of that, your attractiveness drops to minus a hundred million. Dung bettles beated you now."

"Could you stop with the elementary school-level insults..."

"Huh? Did you just make fun of me? Should I punch you?"

Kana raises both hands in a fighting pose. Scary...

Though it might be a joking manner, not many guys would be attracted to some dangerous girl.

With our evaluations of each other's attractiveness drastically change, we both spend the rest of the time in silence looking out at the passing scenery, until we reach our stop.


Sorry for late update. There's typhoon here and there's no black out happened but, for some reason, this glooomy weather unmotivates me.... I hope it'll be sunny soon.

-Support Me-

https://ko-fi.com/animestuff85370

-Visit my epub-pdf website-

https://animestuff.me/

Join on my Telegram:

https://t.me/animestuff2023

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6: Heading in the Opposite Direction Towards Hope!!

Chapter 1: Reunion 1

Chapter 2: Progress 1