Chapter 3: Mimori Yui and Tokami Riku wanted to get closer 2

Chapter 3: Mimori Yui and Tokami Riku wants to get closer 2

Three days had passed.

With just that, the reactions around me had clearly changed.

For example, when I passed by other students, their expressions seemed kinda tense. And during P.E. class, there were no students willing to partner with me.

In particular, Manaka's treatment with me is obvious. Before I knew it, she was glaring at me, and even the girls who were close to her had also become cold towards me. It feels like the sense of disgust towards me was spreading, because of Manaka.

I wonder if Mimori feels the same way.

Above all, the most significant change was that I hadn't seen Mimori since that day. She'd made a throughout effort to hide our relationship and even avoided contacting me through our phones. It made sense to wait until things calms down, and I had no objections to that.

...Well, If I said I'm not lonely, that would be a lie.

If there's one opportunity to catch a glimpse of Mimori, it would be now. After school, from the hallway, looking at the courtyard...

Oh, there she is.

I muttered inwardly as I spotted Mimori crossing the courtyard.

Occasionally, I would catch a glimpse of Mimori from the window in the hallway like this. Since I hadn't seen her for a while, I would feel a slight happiness when I happened to spot her like this.

However, even if I feel happy to see Mimori, at the same time, it would remind me how I miss her.

I can't even call out to her or wave my hand.

Ah, forget it. It's getting gloomy. I turned around, intending to leave... and I was startled.

There was a female student, Suzune, frozen in place, staring at me from a close distance.

"Whoa, you scared me. Suzune, what are you doing...?"

"Um, well... I was thinking about what to do next. Since I've already done things like tapping someone's shoulder and poke it's cheeks when he looks, I was wondering how to get your attention, Senpai..."

What's with that obsession?

"Um, Senpai, do you have a moment? I'd like to talk to you about something."

Suzune's expression seemed somewhat anxious. That alone gave me a hint.

Suzune must know about that photo.

"...No, I'll pass. If I go along with you, I might cause trouble."

With just a glance, I looked at a few female students gathered in the corner of the hallway.

They were conversing while looking at me. I couldn't understand the content of their conversation, but from the bits and pieces of words I caught, it didn't seem like a pleasant discussion.

"Look, because I have a bad reputation now. Even if you're concerned about me--"

Just as I was about to continue speaking, I felt a tight, soft sensation in my right arm.

Suzune was already clinging to my arm and started walking.

"S-Suzune...?"

"Senpai, you're worrying too much."

I couldn't see what expression Suzune had as she walked ahead. However, her voice carried an unusual seriousness.

"You shouldn't distance yourself from me over something like this. How many years do you think I've been your Kouhai?"

Suzune's unwavering words left me speechless for a moment.

She led me to the courtyard and we sat down on a bench.

"That photo has become a topic in my class too. They're saying we should be careful around that pickup artist; Tokami. ...Senpai, are you okay?"

"It's not a big deal, really. I was always a loner to begin with."

I didn't mention that I was even more disliked by girls in middle school... I couldn't joke about that with Suzune, no matter what.

"Suzune, what do you think of me?"

"...I think something happened between you and Mimori-san. Considering what happened recently, it's hard to believe that it's unrelated to her."

"Yeah... Do you despise me?"

However, Suzune remained silent... and eventually, she murmured:

"By the way, it was Father's Day the other day."

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Come to think of it, it was."

Wait, she's suddenly bringing up that topic here?

Though, I'm pretty curious about Father's Day gift. But I've been feeling down lately, so a cheerful topic is quite welcome.

"I remember that you decided to make homemade sweets for your father. How did it go?"

"My dad cried. He said it was the best gift he ever received. As his daughter, it was a little embarrassing, though."

"I can understand your dad's feelings. If I received homemade sweets from my adorable daughter, I'd be moved as well.... I'm pretty jealous on your dad."

"Really...? Well, I'm glad then."

Suzune rummaged in her bag, then gently placed something on my lap.

It was a carefully wrapped butter cookie.

"Huh...?"

"It's a surprise present... handmade by me."

Seeing Suzune's cheeks slightly blush, I was taken back.

"I told you before, right? Even though I failed last time, I'll come up with something that will really surprise you next time," Suzune said.

Come to think of it...

On the day we first searched for a Father's Day gift, she mentioned something like that when we parted ways.

"Eh...? Really!?"

Because this is unexpected, I unintentionally stood up, holding Suzune's cookie in my hand.

"W-well, it certainly surprised me a lot! But... a gift, for me?"

"You helped me study for the entrance exams, and you've always been there for me. While looking for a gift for my dad, I also researched about what you'd like."

"Come to think of it, you did ask for my opinion a lot while choosing the gift."

A handmade treat from Suzune... to be honest, it's both bitter and sweet, but I'm really happy.

Her father was deeply moved when he received a gift from his adorable daughter. There's no way a Senpai could be unhappy receiving a gift from a cute Kouhai.

"Really...? Thank you, I'll treasure it," I said with relaxing smile, gazing at the cookie. "But, I never thought you could make something so cute. Suzune, you don't really cook or anything, right?"

"At first, I kept failing. The shapes were all messed up, and even when they were well-baked, they turned out as hard as rocks. But... Mimori-san taught me."

I couldn't believe my ears.

"...Mimori did?"

"Take a look at this."

Suzune pointed her smartphone at me. Somehow, they must have exchanged contact information, and there were chat records with Mimori. Even though Suzune is amateur, it is impressive how Mimori instructions, so detailed and considerate.

Whenever Suzune had a question, Mimori patiently guided her. If there was something hard to understand, Mimori would make a sample cookies herself, send pictures, and explain it every detail. Then, she would add a cute cat mascot-like stamp saying, "Fight!"

Even though they only met for a single day, Mimori was genuinely supporting Suzune.

"I gathered my courage and asked her. 'I want to make cookies as gift for my dad and to Senpai. Could you teach me how to make them?' ...Without Mimori-san, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to bake so well," Suzune continued as I stared in her in amazement.

"I've always felt like Mimori-san and I were living in different worlds."

As Suzune spoke those words, there was a hint of sadness in her expression.

"Even when you defended Mimori-san that time, I was feeling conflicted. The Mimori-san people talked about was a girl who had no concern and would hurt people without hesitation. She lived a completely different life from mine, so I thought it was natural that we couldn't understand each other... But it wasn't like that," Suzune said with a smile, looking fondly at the cookies they made together.

"It's not that I couldn't understand, it's just that I didn't try to understand... Mimori-san turned out to be someone who would encourage and care for me, even though we just met."

"Suzune..."

"So, about your earlier question. You asked if I despised you, right? ... The answer is no," Under the nightfall Suzune said wearing a gentle smile.

"I believe in you, Senpai, and I believe in Mimori-san as well. I know you are earnest person, and I know Mimori-san is a kind-hearted person."

Her smile warmed my heart, catching me off guard. Suddenly, my eyes grew teary, and I pressed my hands against them.

"Se-Senpai!? Wh-What's wrong? Are you feeling pain somewhere? Is it your head or your stomach?" Suzune asked in panic.

"It's neither... um, well," I replied, raising my head and desperately smiled at Suzune.

"I'm so happy because you're the first person to believe in Mimori. It's beyond words... Thank you so much."

"Hehe. It's nothing much," Suzune blushed and shyly responded.

"But, I can't help but to wonder why you were at Mimori-san's house on the day that picture was taken. So, I want you to promise me something,"

Gently, Suzune touched my hand.

"When the rumors about you settle down, and you have some time to sort things out, let's go somewhere together and take things easy. That time, please tell me more about Mimori-san."

"Ah, yeah, that sounds like a plan. I also have to return the favor with some cookies."

I wondered if Mimori would get angry if she found out I went out with another girl. But even if she scolded me, who cares. I just hoped she would forgive me for it.

After all, Suzune is my one and only precious Kouhai.

 

One week had passed since the photo spread and it was the first school day after the weekend.

They say rumors last seventy-five days, but my bad reputation was still lingering, and if anything, it seemed to be getting worse. Initially, the rumors were confined to my class, but recently, they seemed to have spread to other grades as well.

However, for now, I just had to endure it.

Suzune and Kurusu-san were on my side, after all.

As the end bell rang, I left the classroom before anyone else. I'm heading to the disciplinary room. During lunch break today, I received a message from Kurusu-san saying, "I have something important to talk about."

I was nervous as I opened the door, wondering if it would be good news or bad news, but as soon as I stepped in, I froze in place.

Kurusu-san wasn't there.

"It's been a while... Are you doing okay?"

It was Mimori.

She had a nonchalant expression and was leaning against the wall with her hand on her cheek. The moment I saw her, a warm feeling surged from within. Even though it had only been one week since we last met, everything about her, either her voice and expression felt nostalgic.

"M-Mimori...? Wait, real deal, right? I was worried since we haven't seen each other for a while."

"It makes me happy when you say that. I've been feeling lonely without seeing you too. I'm experiencing, Riku-kun damage lately.

The expression felt a bit like something from an anime...

"But why here?"

"I thought this would be the best way to meet without anyone finding out. So I asked Ruka to help me with that. I have something important to talk to you about."

Her serious expression gave me a sense of déjà vu.

This feeling... it resembled the time when she confessed to me.

"Let me put it straight... I want us to break up."

"Aah, I see."

Oddly enough, those words settled naturally in my heart.

Mimori was feeling responsible.

She thought it was her fault that I was isolated. That's why she wanted to pretend our relationship never happened. Somehow, I had a hunch that this was the case.

That's why I already had my answer.

"I refuse... I can't accept breaking up like this."

With a resolute conviction, I continued.

"If it's because you're tired of me or your feelings are fading, I could accept that as rejection. But that's not it, right? You're trying to break up for my sake."

It's been like that for a long time. Pretending to be strangers at school and avoiding going out together—all of it was to protect me.

Because she knew I would be treated coldly by others like now.

"Breaking up is supposed to be the last resort, right? It might be tough right now, but with time, everyone will forget the rumors," I said.

"It's different, Riku-kun... As long as I'm at this school, the rumors will never disappear," she replied, smiling as if she had given up on something.

"I've seen many boys like you. They were treated coldly by others, and some of them couldn't bear it and transferred to another school. I don't want you to become like that."

"I'll be fine, really. I can endure this much. Back in middle school, girls said even worse things to me. Compared to this..."

"That's exactly why," she said.

For a moment, my heart seemed to stop.

Mimori had a sad expression I had never seen before.

"Because of that past, you were hurt so much that you became uncomfortable around the females, right? ... I don't want you to go through that again because of me."

"............"

Ah, I see... I guess she can see right through me.

Mimori's words were on point. Even though I pretended to be fine with Kurusu-san and Suzune... somewhere in my heart, I'm afraid on going back to my past self.

"...But it's okay. I can endure it if it's just a little."

"Riku-kun, you're pushing yourself too hard, aren't you?"

I suppose so. I must be doing something out of character.

"Since the day we started dating, I knew it would eventually come to this. But even so, I kept going because I liked you," Mimori said, smiling sadly.

"I'm sorry for causing trouble. I guess it must have been annoying to have your first girlfriend be a girl with such terrible rumors, right?"

I tightened my grip on my hand so much that my nails dug into my palm.

Mimori had been covering up her own rumors all this time. She never denied the awful things people said about her, like sleeping with anyone or the like.

Asking Mimori about it would be easy. But I knew she would dodge the question with the same "it's a secret" answer as before.

That thought weighed heavily on my heart, causing me unbearable pain.

"Let's stop here. If we stay together for too long, the teachers might start suspecting something," I said.

As if the conversation had ended, Mimori got up from her seat.

"Wait, Mimori... I'm glad I got to meet you," I desperately called out to her small back as she reached for the door.

"So, please stop saying things like breaking up for my sake."

"...Yeah."

She opened the door and glanced back only once.

Her expression was the same as always, a smile that never changed.

"Bye-bye. Thanks for being with me. And, well... I'll take responsibility for you feeling isolated."

The door closed, leaving me alone with mix feelings. I wanted to vent my frustrations by punching the wall, but I held back. It would probably be meaningless anyway.

And a certain question lingered in my mind.

Mimori said she would take responsibility... What did she mean by that?


Chapter 3 Part 2 End. Sorry for late upload. My body suddenly longed for break.

-Support Me-

https://ko-fi.com/animestuff85370

-Visit my epub-pdf website-

https://animestuff.me/

Join on my Telegram:

https://t.me/animestuff2023

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6: Heading in the Opposite Direction Towards Hope!!

Chapter 1: Reunion 1

Chapter 2: Progress 1